Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Ranking Connecticut's Burger Bars

I have lived in Connecticut for over a little over a year. Before that, I split time between Connecticut and Delaware. I liked Connecticut better in every way, except for the food. Any decent restaurant, apart from Willington Pizza required, at minimum, a fifteen minute drive on I-84. Manchester, the nearest city of any notable size, is a haven of chain restaurant dreck.  Over the past few years, my wife, Casey, and I have found some really good restaurants in the area, but this has required significant trial and error. So in the past year, we expanded our range of restaurants to the communities south and west of Hartford. Our view of the Connecticut restaurant scene has improved immeasurably. In our culinary travels, we discovered one of the things that the Greater Hartford restaurant scene does really well: burgers. There are a number of high quality burger bars that offer a range of delicious options.

1. Plan B Burger Bar: http://www.planbburger.com/

Plan B is a small Connecticut area burger chain with five locations in Connecticut and one in Massachusetts. Plan B keeps its focus on the burgers, offering twenty-two different varieties. They include a range of proteins including lobster (Casey’s favorite) Salmon, Portobello mushrooms, chicken, turkey, and pork.  Plan B also offers salads and a few other entrees, but the burgers shine through. I am especially fond of the Pretzel Burger, with spicy mustard, lettuce, pickles, and cheddar cheese.  Plan B steak fries are especially delicious, thick cut and with a crunchy exterior. Casey eschews the fries altogether and orders their Tater Tots. They also have an impressive list of beers and bourbons available. The B Cup dessert, a flourless double chocolate cake filled with white chocolate mousse dipped in chocolate ganache, made me laugh when it came to the table as it looks exactly like a Hostess Cupcake and tastes like a grown-up version of it. The service at Plan B is organized, friendly, and efficient.  Plan B earns the top spot because if you told me I could only go to one of these places ever again, I would chose Plan B without any hesitation.


Max Burger is the burger outpost of the Hartford area Max Restaurant Group. We have only eaten at Max Fish (although Casey and I are planning to visit Max Oyster Bar soon) and enjoyed it greatly. Max Burger serves as a quality entry in the Connecticut burger scene. It has a lively atmosphere and friendly and attentive service. Burgers are not quite the center of focus like at Plan B. Instead Max Burger offers a broader menu of sandwiches, starters, salads, and entrees. I was especially pleased with my Miss Daisy burger featuring brie cheese, applewood smoked bacon, apple honey Dijonaise, lettuce, tomato, on toasted brioche bread. I also enjoyed the French fries at Max Burger (I stole some of Casey’s—I do that often). The homemade whoopie pies were delightful. The filling was fluffy and the cookie part was crispy on the outside and flaky and cake-like on the inside. It was one of the best whoopie pies I have eaten in a long time. I would readily drive through Hartford again and again to eat at Max Burger.

3. Corey’s Catsup and Mustard: http://catsupandmustard.com/

Corey’s is one of the few places worth eating at in Manchester. Located in downtown Manchester, Corey’s features a menu of burgers, sandwiches, apps, and salads. Its burger menu offers an inventive takes on classic dishes. My personal favorite is the Auntie Laurie’s Burger featuring house made mustard, horseradish cheddar, a pretzel bun (I like burgers on pretzel buns), bacon, lettuce, and tomato. The burger combines three classic pairings: a BLT, pretzels and mustard, and a burger and cheese. The combination results in a juicy, flavorful, and filling burger. Corey’s offers a variety of crunchy and delicious French fries wonderfully showered in salt.
While Corey’s is the closest to where Casey and I live, we have two issues with it: first it was featured on Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, a nearly unforgivable sin. Second the restaurant itself is much too small. This results in a minimum wait of 45 minutes at any normal dining hour (unless you want to cram into the bar) and the front of the house seems unable to turn the tables over quickly. Casey and I have watched on numerous occasions, including once with friends whom we had promised a delicious meal, as empty tables remained un-cleared or empty for ten minutes or more. For a small burger bar, it would seem that turning over tables quickly would be essential to business.

Next time, I will list some of local restaurants that Casey and I have uncovered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment